Thursday, December 3, 2015

My Influences as a Writer

When I chose literature for a career, I thought of my influences and comic book writer Kurt Busiek came to mind. Kurt Busiek is one of the reason I chose my career path as a writer. As a teenager, I bought a copy of the comic book Thunderbolts which was written by Busiek and illustrated by Mark Bagley. After reading the book, I was overly impressed with the style of his writing. Originally, I was wondering what Hawkeye was doing with this particular group. After buying a few more issues of Thunderbolts, I was really into the title as well as my other favorites characters like Spider-Man, Captain America and Batman. Moreover, Busiek's style of writing amazed me along with other comic book writers and science fiction novelists.


I read up on his other works like Untold Tales of Spider-Man, Avengers, and Iron Man and I loved his work on those titles which were a treat. I didn't know much about Kurt, but I would spend my money on comics that were written by him and other names like Fabian Nicieza, John Byne, and etc. The other guys were good, but Kurt Busiek's ideas were what appealed to me as a reader and a writer. The comics books I collected were Marvel Comics dating back to the 1990s and 2000s. For science fiction and fantasy, my influences were Patricia Briggs, Kat Richardson, Jim Butcher, and Kelley Armstrong. They've appealed to me as well with what they've written for urban fantasy as of today.
Their stories were entertaining and I love them. On the matter of Kurt Busiek, his work on Thunderbolts was one of his best ideas to date having super villains pose as super heroes and now wanting to atone for their criminal lives made me add the title as my favorites even when Fabian Nicieza took over the reins of the comic book. Busiek became the reason I decided to be a writer. Among the writers that have inspired my career choice, Kurt Busiek is one of them.

(This was originally posted in 2013 at the Critique Circle website.)

No comments:

Post a Comment