Sunday, March 13, 2016

My Very Personal Work.

As I'm taking part of the #WIPJoy hashtag on Twitter, I shared bits and pieces of my graphic-novel-in-progress. Then I started thinking about how I wrote it in 2009 with no idea of how to write comics & graphic novels and how I was just writing the whole thing from nowhere which is called "pantsering" (write by the seat of your pants).

Now that I think about it, my GN is very personal to me because it's a reflection of how James O'Barr created The Crow from his worst pain.

That's where it all came from. My worst pain.

When I was in my 20's I was in so much emotional pain from the turbulence of life. The loss of a friend. A relative being in prison. Where I was in life and my desperation to make something of myself after failing as an adult. I needed to do something with that pain.

So I sat down and wrote some lyrics and poems that reflected my state of mind, and later, my graphic novel. I spent days and nights working on it. Not stopping for anything; I just wanted to finish it.

And I did.

Six years and four drafts later...and it's still a work in progress. I haven't found an artist for my work and I'm putting it through every run through to get it polished up for the day my story would be told to the world.

My protagonist's fears and pain are a mirror of how I suffered those years ago. We've come a long way and I believe her story will resonate with anyone who has been through a degree of hurt from the world, and people would say "Man, I feel for this character. She's hurting in ways I can't imagine."

For me to write something to cope with personal dealings was quite a ride as it was therapy. Years from now I would look at my story as one the most personal things I've ever done because I can never forget where it all came from in the beginning. My worst pain.





No comments:

Post a Comment