Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Lack of "Super" Girl Power?

Captain Marvel

The year was 2011. I was a member of an online writing group called WeBook at the time. Another member told me that I make up for the lack of super heroines in a WIP I was working on. That while pointing out how I justify the whole stupidity factor on female super heroes and thanking me for making them badass.

Vixen

I can't help but recall what the person said and had to point out the heroines that go hard in their own right. Sure, there are ones we know and love like Storm to Wonder Woman and Black Canary, just to name a few. Half of the world says those are stupid names for a strong female in a man's world as the other half says "Wow, she goes hard as hell. I dig what she's doing."
Supergirl

As long as I've been reading the sci-fi/fantasy genre, I've taken notice of women who've taken their place among the strong, yet vulnerable role with whatever abilities they have. When I say "strong, yet vulnerable", they are strong but have weaknesses like their male counterparts. As funny as it may seems, we can relate to them. The heroines I've come across that go H.A.M these days are similar to those that I've always known. Possessing a certain ability that humans dream of while living like one. So there's balance between our supermen and superwomen.
On top of that, they wear the spirit of "Girl Power" on their sleeve.




So who believes that I'm making up for the lack of strong female characters? I don't believe it. They've been around for a long time and I don't think they've slowed down one bit. You just have to be on the look out for what comes out from writers of today and yesterday. Check them out and express your thoughts while being entertained.
Batgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment