Monday, April 25, 2016

When was the last you read a good Book?

I've read my fair share of books growing up. Anything in the school library to (you guessed it) comic books. As you may know, I've read comics by the dozen which played a role in my individual growth but I had to "grow up" and sell my comic book collection. Some time later, my dad begged the question: "When was the last time you've read a good book?"

For starters I read the likes of R.L. Stine to Edgar Allen Poe.*

Being fresh out of high school and retired from comics, I was curious about any authors that are very good. Reading makes you curious in my opinion. Seeing everything in an old Waldenbooks store at the ol' Crossroads Mall I found some books in the genre I'm mostly familiar with which is fantasy and horror, and I've discovered authors that piqued my interest.


















Greywalker by Kat Richardson- Of all reasons for picking up this book was the concept and title of Richardson's book. A small-time PI beaten and left for dead for only a couple of minutes and comes back as a gap between our world and the next. Also I'm a fan of gumshoe stories thanks to TV shows like CSI: Miami and Law & Order.


Moon Called by Patricia Briggs-I researched Briggs' writing credentials in 2006 and saw this one. Being curious about how good she is I decided to check it out and the book that followed which is Blood Bound. They both were good and the main character became one of my favorites in the contemporary fantasy genre. I liked the characters and the idea of the series since then.





Nightlife by Rob Thurman-Now when I came across the title, my first impression was a male protagonist that's some kind of otherworldly being dealing with New York's "other" residents. Thurman delivered a superb tale of action with two brothers that's in the spirit of Supernatural. The plot, Cal's voice and his supporting cast kept me all the way to the end. Definitely worth picking up!










Well, that's all the good books I enjoyed. I could go on...but my library's stacked to high heaven with authors I'm waiting to explore.

So friends, when was the last time you read a book that was really good?

*Disclaimer: I didn't know about Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven" until I watched The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror when I was a kid. The poem was narrated by none other than James Earl Jones. At thirteen I found Poe's collection of poetry and short fiction at the library in middle school.











No comments:

Post a Comment